Job title: Part-time Grounds Maintenance
Reports to: Public Works Supervisor
This person is responsible for working with the Public Works Supervisor and other city employees in keeping the cemetery, parks and grounds in a state of beauty and repair.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Essential functions may include, but are not limited to, the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to work without supervision
- Work in extreme cold and extreme heat for extended periods of time
- Lifting items up to 50 pounds
- Spend extended time standing/walking and walking on uneven surfaces
- Use of power and hand tools
- Must be able to perform manual labor, i.e. dig graves, mow and trim grass, and trim trees
- Any other duties as specified by the Public Works Supervisor
- Immediate Supervisor: Public Works
Job title: Public Works Supervisor
Reports to: Mayor and Public Works Committee Chair
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. This position also carries a one (1) year probationary period. Refer to Handbook.
The Public Works Supervisor works under the policy direction of the City Council and Mayor. Position performs a variety of complex administrative, supervisory and professional work in planning, coordinating and directing the Water, Wastewater, Street, Park and Cemetery activities.
Position supervises 4 full-time and/or part-time employees directly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them for the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Determines locations of gas, telephone, power, television, water and sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
- Drives trucks of various sizes and/or weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment and maintenance materials.
- Evaluates public works needs and formulates short and long range plans to meet needs in all areas of responsibility, including transportation, street and drainage.
- Manages and supervises:
- Daily operations of water distribution system
- Daily operations of wastewater facilities.
- Development and/or update of the Capital Improvement Program and other plans involving the municipal roadway infrastructure.
- Gathering and processing laboratory samples, as required.
- Infrastructure maintenance and other records.
- Municipal public works construction project management and assigned projects to ensure contractor compliance with time and budget parameters.
- Proper maintenance of equipment and tools.
- Water meter readings.
- Regular contact with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, City, County, State and Federal agencies, professional and technical groups and the general public regarding department activities and services.
- Variety of records relating to work orders, inspections, maintenance activities, project estimates, etc.
- City infrastructure maps, including additions, deletions and amendments.
- Light and medium-sized construction and power equipment, such as chain saws, weed whips and other related equipment.
- Mowers, end loader, dump truck, pickup truck, snowplows, and skid steer.
- Oversees and directs the duties and responsibilities of the Public Works Department.
- Required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects including barricading, blacktopping, building cleaning/maintenance, trimming, clearing, cement repair, painting, signing, grading, patching, manhole cleaning, pipe repair, crack filling and other tasks.
- Routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, supervises and evaluates programs, plans, services, staffing, equipment and infrastructure of the public works department.
- Responsible for
- City compliance with all Public Service Commission and WisDNR regulations and mandates.
- Filing for State of Wisconsin Discharge Permit, as necessary.
- Trains subordinates regarding performing duties of maintenance, repair of street, stormwater, parks, cemetery, water and wastewater facilities.
- Mitigates errors and complaints according to existing procedures.
- Assists with other department staff in performing duties.
- Assures assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget, monitors expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control, prepares annual budget requests, assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
- Attends conferences and training relating to the position, represents the City in a variety of state, county, local and other meetings.
- Communicates official plans, policies and procedures to the public.
- Composes correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other material requiring judgment as to content, accuracy and completeness.
- Gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations for the City Council.
- General safety of department employees through assessments of working conditions.
- Custody and control over department equipment, property, records and recommends improvements to equipment and facilities, as needed.
- Responsible for:
- Following protocol contained in the City Policy and Procedures handbook including complaints.
- Biweekly time sheets and other department documents generated, signed and forwarded to the Clerk-Treasurer.
- Timely coordination, oversight, material sampling and inspection of contracted services and in-kind/cost reimbursement projects including review of invoices.
- Inspection and subsequent enforcement notification of City ordinances including, but not limited to cutting of long grass/weeds and clearing of sidewalks within the right-of-way.
- Reviewing departmental purchases and invoices.
- Operations to achieve goals within available resources: plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments, trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff, reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
- Reports for council meetings as directed.
- Coordinate WI DNR permit related activities.
- Supervise and conduct operations and upkeep of City machinery and facilities.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Associates or technical degree in a related field is desirable.
- Substitution of Experience for Education: Any equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible experience, with additional work experience substituting for the required education on a year for year basis, will fulfill the requirements for education.
- Necessary Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of:
- Computers and experience with software including intermediate skills with Excel, Word, Internet, email and other specialized municipal software.
- But not limited to, common understanding of the power and hand tools used.
- Skill in proper and safe operation of equipment, facilities, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities.
- Ability to:
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Plan, organize and assign personnel and resources, and monitor outcome to achieve desired goals.
- Stand on feet for extended periods of time.
- Can repetitively lift 50 pounds.
- Understands and carries out written and oral instructions.
- United States citizen
- Eighteen (18) years of age or older to apply
- Valid driver’s license
- State of Wisconsin Waterworks Operator Certificate as applies per DNR classification requirements for Fountain City system, or continual progress toward full certification as determined by semi-annual DNR sanctioned tests.
- State of Wisconsin Wastewater Operator Certificate as applies per DNR classification requirements for Fountain City plant, or continual progress toward full certification as determined by semi-annual DNR sanctioned tests.
- CPR and First-Aid Certification, or the ability to obtain certifications within 6 months of appointment.
- Willing to furnish information for a comprehensive background check.