Job Description – PW General Maintenance_June2018
Recycling Site Attendant
Public Works Supervisor
The Recycling Site Attendant provides assistance with accepting recyclables, demolition debris, and various forms of non-household waste for Fountain City residents.
This person shall collect funds for demolition and other unacceptable materials as well as assist residents of the City of Fountain City with placement of their recyclable materials in the appropriate containers, and any other duties or special projects related to recycling upon request. The recycling site attendant will work independently under the direction of the City of Fountain City.
Must be able to work without direct supervision and have good public relation skills. Must have the ability to make change and calculate receipt totals. Attendant must be able to lift 50 pounds. Should be organized and neat.
Approximately 6 hours per month on every other Saturday from 8:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Public Works General Maintenance Worker
Public Works Supervisor
Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks assisting in the construction, repair, and maintenance of buildings, parks and other public works facilities; construction, repair, installation and maintenance of streets, water/wastewater utility lines, buildings, parks and other public works facilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Essential functions may include, but are not limited to, the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work in extreme cold and extreme heat for extended periods of time
- Lifting items up to 100 pounds
- Spend extended time standing/walking and walking on uneven surfaces
- Use of power and hand tools
- Constant bending
- Frequent climbing
- Read water meters for billing
- Work in and around raw sewage/wastewater
- Work in and around underground utilities
- Manual digging and excavating
- Maintain parks and park facilities, performing necessary landscaping and grounds keeping work
- Upkeep and cleaning of all city facilities and rest rooms
- Respond to maintenance, water and/or sewer calls on weekends
- Clear minor sewer blockages
- Make repairs to and maintains City buildings; perform janitorial work; set up for meetings; move furniture
- Assist other maintenance employees in performing repairs/maintenance of streets, water/wastewater pipelines and other facilities
- Clean clogged storm drain basins
- Clean and maintain equipment used in the course of work
- Paint street markings and perform street sign maintenance
- Traffic control flag person duties
- Fill out accurate work orders and track parts usage
- Follow all safety policies of the Public Works Department
- Submit to random drug testing
- Performs other related duties as required
Materials, Equipment and Tools:
- Shovel, rake, jackhammer, vibratory compactor, vibratory plate, trucks, power tools, chain saw, sander, weed eater, paint machine, general hand tools, welder and torch
- Pavement oils, asphalt, petroleum products not limited to gasoline, diesel and motor oils, liquid propane, cement products, earth material (including dusts from them), all types of paint, various cleaners and disinfectants.
- Methods, procedures, tools, techniques, equipment and supplies used in park and building maintenance work
- Use of equipment used in the field of custodial building maintenance
- Safe work practices
- Safe driving practice
- Perform semi-skilled and skilled maintenance tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of public works
- Operate pickups, trucks and moderately light power-driven equipment when assigned
- Use the hand power tools and equipment required in general building and grounds maintenance work
- Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods under sometimes unfavorable conditions
- Read and write for successful job performance
- Understand and carryout oral and written directions from supervisor
Work in underground excavations with shoring. Work in and around raw sewage and wastewater, chlorine fumes, raw sewage waste fumes and sewer gases. Constant exposure to sun, walking on uneven surfaces, bending, kneeling, squatting, twisting, exposure to airborne dust and loud noises, frequent climbing of ladders of up to 24’ above ground, driving, working on slippery surfaces, working with toxic substances, lifting above shoulders, ability to work in confined and cramped spaces, repetitive hand motion, hear verbal instructions, climb in/out of ditches.
High School Graduate or GED
- United States citizen
- Eighteen (18) years of age or older to apply
- Valid driver’s license
- State of Wisconsin Waterworks Operator Certificate as applies per DNR classification requirements for Fountain City system
- State of Wisconsin Wastewater Operator Certificate as applies per DNR classification requirements for Fountain City plant or system, or continual progress toward full certification as determined by semi-annual DNR sanctioned tests.
- CPR and First-Aid Certification, or the ability to obtain certifications within 6 months of appointment
- Willing to furnish information for a comprehensive background check.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. This position also carries a one (1) year probationary period.